September 10, 2013

one click

BlogtemberDescribe a distinct moment when your life took a turn.

It was back in May of 2010 and I was walking around Best Buy with my husband and brother-in-law, about to graduate from college that same week. We were looking at graduation present ideas for myself. I had always been drawn towards a DSLR and for some unknown reason, I had made up my mind. This was exactly what I wanted to get.

With both of their help, I had purchased my very first DSLR, a Canon Rebel XS with the standard lens. Throughout the rest of that year, it mostly sat in it's nice camera case, scared to take it out and actually use it. Never reading my manual or taking it off of Auto Mode. 

It wasn't until late in the year of 2012 that two great friends that I had known for years became engaged and took a chance. A chance on me, and asked if I'd be willing to take some engagement photos for them at the great Lambeau Field. Nervous because I wanted to take some quality photos for them, I taught myself the easy way of "P" Program Mode. When I got home that day I was so happy with what I had accomplished on such a short time (two days before). I posted the photos up on my personal Facebook Account. 

It was then that it had taken off fast then I ever imagined. Others saw those photos and were interested in photography sessions with their families. It was then I realized that "holy crap, I can actually do this". From that day I vowed that I would learn the in's and out's of my camera. I took many photography courses at a local technical college, and those have been so essential to learning the difference of ISO and all those f/stops. I researched all about creating your own small business and slowly filed for an EIN number with the Federal Government and created my own little sole-proprietorship in the beginning of this year (2013). Session after session, it allowed me to purchase a newer camera, better lenses, a website, insurance, and more. I have been beyond thankful for each and every client I have had.

Granted I am no professional, and each and every day I hold the camera in my hand, I am learning. One session after the next, my photos continually to become better, in my eyes. I have even booked 5 weddings for next year (2014) and I couldn't be more thrilled about it. All because the two people in the photo above, took a chance on me and turned my life into a precious way of capturing the beauty in other people, things and life itself.

15 comments:

  1. Love this! I've been working on my photography and it always amazes me when a picture comes out just right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You keep rocking it girl!!! I've been enjoying watching you get better and better! I'm so happy & excited for you and this journey. Lots of love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So proud of you! :) Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing, Whit! I didn't know this whole story

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that picture! The flowers, the bubbles, everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so cool! Your pictures are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so cool! Your pictures are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this story. And you already know how much I love your photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love reading this and learning more about you! what a great story to share and perfect for a blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am on a similar journey and LOVE it! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This gives me so much inspiration! I've been eyeing DSLRs for over a year. I got one in March but it wasn't until recently that I really started investing time in practicing in manual. Can't wait to see where I go with it!

    ReplyDelete